Monday, October 15, 2007

My First Western

As the title so rightfully calls it, our classes viewing of My Darling Clementine was the very first film that I have watched that has been labeled solely under the "Western" genre. I have come to have many expectations for a Western, after seeing so many cliché's of them for so long in modern day film's. I must admit, I dont think I can invision anyone besides Henry Fonda playing Wyatt Earp anymore. He did such a terrific job of completing every thought and idea I had about a main character and hero in a western, I had nothing left to call him out on.

The only part about the movie that I seemed to be irritated over was how Wyatt seemed to forget about his brothers death right up until the very last couple scenes involving the chase of the Clantons back to their home and then the gunfight down at the OK Coral.

I originally had doubts about the film when we first started watching. Played in black and white, with the old My Darling Clementine song streaming through the speakers, I was sure that it would be boring and a waste of time. However, the cast of My Darling Clementine sure proved me wrong. Although there were slow parts, the action was quite consistent throughout the film. I greatly enjoyed watching this film and afterwards I now feel like Ive been missing out for so long on such a great genre.

No comments: