Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Battle of Algiers


After reading the New York Times review of The Battle of Algiers (Pontecorvo) I have come to appreciate the movie for what its worth, not simply on my own viewing pleasure or displeasure, taste or distaste. I was admittedly very bored while viewing this film, there were moments when the action would continue and following the plot was worthwhile but in my opinion throughout the rest, with the different language, subtitles, lack of enthusiasm, and difficulty to comprehend it seemed like a loss to me. Peter Rainer of the New York Times movie review has enlighted me however to a more "in-depth" while also "broader" perspective of the film. Pontecorvo wasn't just going for a film or box office type movie, the docuementary can be seen as art and even though its difficult to be enthraled by the film, you can still appreciate it for its worth as a film that re-defined its genre and opened all kinds of new doors for countries around the worl, not just in film making, but in life itself.

No comments: