Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Did they do the right thing?



This movie has been by far the most contreversial and most iniative of thought for me. This movie really made me think. It was the first movie to have to do with racism and a problem that we have had to deal with in our society in the past. Although this kind of treatment recieved by both the black community from Sal and Sal from the community is accurate as to what "did happen" in our society, but not to what is happening now. The scene that sticks out to me as most shocking is the murder of Radio Rahim by the police after he assaults Sal. This led to the community attacking in rage against Sal's Pizzeria and burning it down to the ground. When watching I was outraged at what was happening, I didn't know what to think when I saw them choking him. Even one or two of the officers said to let him go but the big policeman held him in a chokehold till he was no longer breathing. I think its important to understand that this kind of thing happened in our society's past and was not completely uncommon for that time but it is should be seen as outrageous and unbelievable today.

No comments: