Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Today

Today I have a lot of things on my mind. The biggest thing I can think of is March Madness. This time of year is really important for me, I look forward to the NCAA tournament every year. This year there are many different styles of teams and the games are going to be even closer then they have been in the past. The overall number 1 seed is North Carolina, which is no surprise seeing how difficult their schedule was this year and how well they did. The other number one seeds are Memphis, UCLA, and Kansas. The hardest part about the tournament and trying to fill out your bracket correctly is just the fact that there are always so many upsets. For example, 38% of the time that a 12 seed has played a 5 seed in the opening round, the 12 seed has won. Many different 13 and 14 seeded teams have upset 4th and 3rd seeded teams respectively. I heard recently from ESPN that the probability of predicting a perfect bracket is 1 in 10 quintillion or in other words 1 out of 10 and 19 zeroes, or 1 out of 100,000,000,000,000,000,000. If you were to take every possible outcome in the NCAA tournament and make a bracket for it, their would be so many brackets and sheets of paper that it would cover the earth not once, not twice, but 158,000 times. We would be stacked 50 feet in paper.

So far for the tournament I am in 4 different pools. I have 2 different brackets into a pool with friends from school, I am in one online with friends who graduated last year, I am in one with my dad and his work and in one other with friends online. The first game has already happened, the play in game between Mt. St. Mary's and Coppin State. The game was last night, and Coppin State being the first school ever to be in the tournament with 20 losses, didnt look so good. Mt. St Mary's has plenty of reason to celebrate as they have advanced into the first round of the NCAA tournament, however, their luck looks to have run out as they now face the number one overall seed in North Carolina. A number 1 seed has NEVER lost to a number 16 seed in the first round but maybe Mt. St. Marys has the luck to pull off an unbelievable upset.

No comments: