Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Western Genre

This ones a little overdue for those of you who check my blog. I was sick from school for 3 days last week so I am finally posting my post-film blog on the 2 westerns we watched in 4th hour, My Darling Clementine (John Ford) and Once Upon A Time in the West (Sergio Leone). Previous to this unit, I had only viewed one western before. This was of Tombstone which included the legends of Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday. Seeing these characters that I adored in that film brought into even older retrospect to My Darling Clementine really made it stand out for me. I extremely enjoyed the sense of measure that characters have in westerns, they all fit there prospective "roles" as oppose to such versatile acting so commonly seen in todays media. Secondly we viewed Once Upon A Time in the West, which was another fantastic film. I loved the way the director employed suspense to such extreme measures to draw out every seconds worth of drama available throughout the film. Although I extremely enjoyed both films, I favored My Darling Clementine due to my past dealings with the characters of Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday. These films have completely opened the doors for me into the Western genre, I now appreciate these films more and will no longer "avoid" renting them from a movie store.

No comments: